SUVs seriously suck
Based on the manufacturer's (G.M.'s) optimistic claim that it does 13 miles to the (US) gallon, an H2 (second-generation Hummer) produces 3.4 metric tons of carbon emissions in a typical year, nearly double that of G.M.'s Chevrolet Malibu sedan (www.fuh.com). US Hummer owners get all sorts of tax perks from the Bush regime for behaving like the slob in charge. Surprised? Im not. Want to know more? Read this (check the photo!) and this. And watch this on YouTube!
Just a few reasons for banning SUVs from the road
1.Occupant death rate in SUVs is between 6% and 8% percent higher than for people in normal cars.
2. SUV drivers are less likely to wear seatbelts than other drivers with the result that fatalities in rollover incidents, to which SUVs with their high centre of gravity are particularly prone, is much more common.
3. According to research from the US Department of the Environment, normal passenger cars are much safer than the average SUV or pickup truck when the risk posed to other drivers is taken into account. For every one life saved by driving an SUV, five others will be taken, almost all of them in the other car.
5. If your car is sideswiped, you are 6.6 times more likely to die than anyone in the car driving into you. If an SUV hits you side on, you are 30 times more likely to be killed than the SUV occupant who rammed you.
6. Since SUVs are designed as heavy, non-aerodynamic containers on large wheels with thick tyres, they consume more fossile fuel than normal cars, aggravating dependency on and interference in ecologically and politically sensitive areas of the planet, while contributing more to global warming than normal car users..
7. Many US state authorities, realising the seriousness of points 1-6 (above), are phasing out the SUVs in their fleet (see report from State Environmental Resource Center).
8. Market research carried out by leading US car makers leads analysts to characterise SUV owners as insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors and communities (Keith Bradsher: High and Mighty: SUVs; Public Affairs Books, New York, 2002 more details).
9. This site.
10. This site
My conclusion is that SUV owners must be either stupid and ignorant or incredibly callous and egocentric because they put their own life at risk in their top-heavy containers so they can jeopardise the lives of other road users even more. I honestly hope they will manage to do themselves enough harm in their wheeled containers before they are able to kill the rest of us. They clearly dont give a damn for the environment either. What a bunch of antisocial dickheads!
Read the excellent review by Eric C. Shoaf (Brown Univ. Lib., Providence), on the Amazon website, of Bradshers excellent book High and Mighty: SUVs. Bradsher reviews cars for the New York Times and knows what hes talking about.