Minutes of the constitutive meeting, 2015-01-18 [view as original Word document]
Present: Sue Miller (SM), Tim Wise (TW), Diego Garcia (DG), Kaire Maimets (KM), Fernando Barrera (FB), Guillaume Dupetit (GD), Marcus Heuger (MH), Esa Lilja (EL), Phil Tagg (PT), Bob Davis (BD).
Apologies: Chloë Mullett, Chris Whiting, Adam Hulme, Jacopo Conti.
1. Opening formalities
- PT was elected as chair of the meeting. BD was elected as secretary. An agenda was agreed to discuss
- general themes,
- short, mid and long term objectives
- formation of a network
- The meeting began with a brief paper from Francisco Giménez from the Univeristy of Granada.
2. General themes
- The name NIMiMS term was discussed. SM raised the potential issue concerning the word ‘inclusion’ and the group discussed the way that this provokes and whether that might be problematic. Intramusical was discussed as an alternative term. This developed into a wider discussion about the ways in which the group wishes to be inclusive.
- The interdisciplinary nature of the network would be a central point and promoting our ideas to other groups could be approached to develop associations. SM discussed the Popular Cultures Research Group (Leeds University) which work in interesting ways and our approach may help them in their work. PT suggested that we give examples of the way that music studies can inform and challenge cultural misapprehensions. SM discussed the way her own understanding of culture came from her study of the music. PT gave Tamlyn’s study of the backbeat as an example. BD discussed the way that ‘do you know..’ could become part of a website. SM reminded us that there are different audiences to address (Various humorous anecdotes followed).
- SM raised the issue of funding applications and how this might be formulated.
- DG raised a comment that we may be missing people in our group and there is a potential for offending people. A discussion of this suggested that the support and agreement that we have for the group was sufficient that we move forward. GD discussed the importance of this for other people who would like to know more about music. TW raised the way that we might impact on the curriculum in schools. SM discussed the wider population and the group she spoke to which was an older group who would benefit from this.
- Websites, etc. would be the way to promote the group and there were a number of discussions that emerged around this. PT discussed the purpose of his videos, SM discussed the importance of audio and TW discussed how we might learn these.
3. Formation of a network
3.1. It was agreed that:
- A network should be founded and that it’s name should be ‘Network for the Inclusion of Music in Music Studies’ —NIMiMS;
- GD will investigate possibilites for a new NIMiMS logo;
- BD will send out information about the founding of the Network.
3.2 EL discussed the network as an international association with three elected officials and its registration in Finland, This involves a basic cost of €130 (per year or one-off??) but no additional costs. The Network has to organise one meeting per year.
- GD compared the situation in France; MH and PT discussed expenses. It was established that there would be funds, possible subscriptions, and the need for a treasurer.
- PT proposed that we give EL a mandate to set up an association with EL as its Chair. This proposal was passed unanimously and EL was elected as Chair.
- EL accepted the nomination and explained what would be required for the group.
- TW proposed KM as Treasurer; motion seconded by PT. KM was elected treasurer.
- EL explained that the Network would, under Finnish law, also require a vice president (VP). EL proposed that we contact Alfonso Badilla who lives in Helskinki. The committee asked EL to contact Alfonso Badilla, John Richardson, and Paolo Ribaldini (all resident in Finland) with a view to joining the network and acting as VP for the association as part of formalities involved in establishing the organisation.
- The role of Secretary was discussed and BD was nominated by TW and seconded by FB.
3.3. Organisational matters arising:
- EL will develop the association based in Finland
- PT asked everyone to forward an abstract of their symposium presentation and an idea of what participants would like to develop in the Network. These short statements coould then be developed as basis for a report which the secretary will circulate. PT will invite everyone to contribute.
- PT will send an online form to develop a database for the members of the group. Instructions will be sent to participants and a members website will be created to share information. The information will also be sent to people who expressed an interest in the symposium or in the Network.
- Subscription - we asked the treasurer to consider subscription fees and bank account, individual and institutional membership along with other matters relating to the financial operation of the organisation.
- Auditors for the organisation will be elected before the general meeting. A date for this will be established after the organisation is formally created.
- PT proposed that the chair, treasurer and secretary would take matters in hand and report to the group. TW proposed that his institution would be happy to organise a conference in June.
4. Upcoming events
4.1. Notice was given of the following events (see also special Upcoming Events section on this website):
- February 27-28, 2015: music analysis seminars in Helsinki (Finland) (EL and PT)
- March 2-6, 2015: music analysis seminars in Tallinn (Estonia) (KM and PT)
- June, 2015: event organised by TW in Salford (UK)
4.2. PT will create upcoming events announcements of this type on his website (e.g. this!).
4.3. BD suggested that there may be other local network meetings that NIMiMS could support.
5.1. Translation for Spanish, French and German will be provided by DF, FB, MH and other members of the group.
5.2. Vote of thanks to BD, steve parker, Leeds Beckett university
5.3. BD offered his thanks on behalf of LBU for everyone’s contribution.
6.1. The meeting was closed.